When you have the summer tires in place you think that you are ready to get to the place where you will spend your vacation. However, when you do not know how to maintain them properly, you will increase their performance and also they will last longer. To learn how to maintain your summer tires properly, here are some tips:
- The summer tires are created from softer rubber compound and for that reason they are not suitable for use during the winter. Therefore, when the weather gets colder, you should change your tires with winter ones.
- Check your vehicle owner’s manual to find out how you have to rotate your tires properly. That way all your summer tires will wear out at the same rate.
- Make sure that your tires are properly inflated. You can find the tire pressure that is recommended by the manufacturer in your vehicle owner’s manual and you have to maintain it all year round. That way you will increase their lifespan and decrease the chances of tire failure.
- Always check your tires for cuts, nicks and uneven wear, especially if you are living in an area that has poor road conditions. Inspect the rims to see if it is damaged in any way. This should be part of your regular maintenance checks. If some spots are wearing out faster than the others or if you notice your car pulling into different directions, a slight vibration at highway speeds or thumping on low speeds, take your vehicle to the mechanic or to your service station. It could be a sign of other bigger problems such as misaligned wheels, worn shock absorbers, or other problems. Make sure that your tires are properly balanced and aligned. This will save you from your tires blowing out in the middle of the road and endanger your life.
- Despite the fact that the summer tires are known as high performance tires, you should drive with proper speed. If you are driving like a madman you will decrease their lifespan for sure and also you risk getting in serious troubles with the authorities in the area where you live.
- Keep your summer tires clean. You should use brush and soap to do that. When you summer tires are cleaned up properly, they will last longer and you will remove any objects that can damage them.